A fascinating look into nurturing and parenting in the natural world, supplemented with original illustrations
For readers of Becoming Animal and World of Wonders
A beautiful resource for nature advocates, parents-to-be, animal lovers, and anyone who seeks to restore wellbeing on our planet, The Evolved Nest reconnects us to lessons from the animal world and shows us how to restore wellness in our families, communities, and lives.
Each of 10 chapters explores a different animal’s parenting model, sharing species-specific adaptations that allow each to thrive in their “evolved nests.” You’ll learn:
- How Gorillas Build an internal moral compass
- How Elephants foster a spirit of play in their children
- How Octopuses work through early life stressors and traumas
- How, when, and whether (or not) Brown Bears decide to have children
- What their lessons can teach you–whether you’re a parent, grandparent, caregiver, or childfree
Psychologists Drs. Darcia Narvaez and Gay Bradshaw show us how each evolved nest offers inspiration for reexamining our own systems of nurturing, understanding, and caring for our young and each other. Alongside beautiful illustrations, stunning scientific facts, and lessons in evolutionary biology, we learn to care deeper: to restore our innate place within the natural world and fight for an ecology of life that supports our flourishing in balance with nature alongside our human and non-human family.