Employment & Internships
Job Openings at North Atlantic Books
North Atlantic Books (NAB) is a leading independent nonprofit publisher in Berkeley, CA. We’re seeking a Marketing Assistant to join the Marketing & Publicity team, helping us promote books in key areas like health and wellness, social justice, trauma and somatics, herbalism, and more. While there may be opportunities for in-person work, we’re currently working remotely.
NAB is a non-profit with a conscience: our publishing program is mission-driven, and through our sales and distribution partnership with Penguin Random House, we connect with readers on a global scale. We endeavor to walk the talk of our mission in interactions among staff, authors, readers, booksellers, and the community at large.
North Atlantic Books is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees.
The Marketing Assistant supports all aspects of marketing. They provide administrative assistance and help with social media, title-based marketing, and newsletter campaigns, in addition to acting as the departmental first point of contact with authors. The position reports to the Associate Marketing and Communications Director.
This position is 40 hours a week. Though NAB is home-based for the foreseeable future, we will give preference to candidates who are local to the Bay Area in anticipation of our eventual return to the office. Salary is $47,500 per year. Excellent benefits package: health, vision, and dental plan; 401k; paid sabbatical; and flexible spending plan. In addition to four weeks of PTO, we offer all employees 1 paid volunteer day and 22 paid holidays per year, including International Workers’ Day, Juneteenth, and the anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Provide general support for the Marketing Department; support individual title-by-title marketing campaigns (backlist and frontlist). This may include:
- Corresponding and coordinating with authors; providing authors with campaign-related information; answering promotional process questions
- Proofreading and scheduling Facebook and Instagram posts
- Coordinating online NAB author events
- Proofreading online advertising copy
- Attending and contributing ideas to title strategy meetings and campaign brainstorms
- Attending Penguin Random House span meetings like Launch and Sales Conference
- Attending and contributing ideas to monthly Marketing & Publicity team meetings
- Conducting audience, genre, and influencer research as needed
- Coordinating Goodreads giveaways
- Coordinating and fulfilling Publicity & Marketing department promotional mailings
- Adding author events to the NAB website
- Proofreading and scheduling newsletters
- Formatting and scheduling blog posts; making marketing-related updates to the NAB website as needed
- Uploading and maintaining copy and marketing materials in title information system
- Conducting research on marketing vendors as needed
- Other administrative duties as needed
- Join NAB committees as desired
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent work experience
- A background in digital marketing or equivalent social media, writing, and admin skills; prior experience in publishing or other media a plus
- Excellent attention to detail; organizational skills; and written and verbal communication
- Ability to multitask and prioritize within a deadline-oriented environment
- Comfort working both independently and in collaboration with a team
- Interest and experience in amplifying diverse voices
- Experience with and/or affinity for the subject areas we publish
- Competence in Adobe InDesign, ActiveCampaign, and WordPress a plus
- Familiarity with AP or Chicago Style a plus
To apply: email your resume and cover letter to Bevin Donahue (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject “Marketing Assistant.” No phone calls, please. We look forward to hearing from you!
Aiming to encourage greater diversity in the professions related to book publishing, North Atlantic Books is offering paid internships for individuals from backgrounds and life experiences that have traditionally been underrepresented in the industry.
About the Internship
Throughout the six-month program, NAB interns will gain hands-on book publishing experience across multiple departments: acquisitions, editorial/production, marketing, and publicity. The goal of this program is to introduce and prepare interns for a vibrant career in publishing, and to enable them to experience the day-to-day tasks and responsibilities related to a variety of different career paths within an in-house book publishing setting. As we are a stay-at-home office for the foreseeable future, please note that this is a remote internship. Though there may be some opportunities for in-person work, this will not be required.
Interns will spend three months working in one track (acquisitions/editorial/production or marketing/publicity) before switching to the other. As such, we ask for a six-month commitment. Internships will begin in late Fall 2021.
About North Atlantic Books
North Atlantic Books (NAB) is a nonprofit, independent publisher based in the Bay Area, California. We publish books that heal, with a broad program that includes leading titles in trauma and somatics, social justice, liberatory tools, engaged Buddhism, health and wellness, yoga, and herbalism.
NAB’s publishing program is mission driven, and through our partnership with Penguin Random House we connect with readers on a global scale. We endeavor to walk the talk of our mission in interactions among staff, authors, readers, booksellers, and the community at large.
Candidates should be organized, able to conduct basic internet research, have excellent attention to detail, great communications skills, have Zoom and Google Meets and Google Drive working knowledge, and hold a strong interest in pursuing a career in publishing.
Candidates should be able to commit to 15 hours per week. Because of the remote nature of the internship, the work is “drop in” to allow flexibility. However, interns should try to attend virtual team- and company-wide meetings.
This internship pays $15 per hour.
Please send a resume and a cover letter expressing your reasons for applying and about your interest in a book-publishing career to Emily Boyd: email@example.com. No phone calls please.
We’re accepting applications from now through September 20 and will be reviewing applications through early October. Interviews for finalists will take place in mid-to-late October.