Employment & Internships
Job Openings at North Atlantic Books
North Atlantic Books (NAB) is a leading independent nonprofit publisher in Berkeley, CA. We’re seeking an Inventory Coordinator/Accounting Associate to join the finance team in coordinating our inventory, maintaining records, and supporting our accounting department.
NAB benefits from being an independent press with Penguin Random House (PRH) distribution. We’re a nonprofit with a conscience: our publishing program is mission driven, and through our partnership with PRH we connect with readers on a global scale. We endeavor to walk the talk of our mission in interactions among staff, authors, readers, booksellers, and the community at large.
North Atlantic Books is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees.
Inventory Coordinator /Accounting Associate
Responsible for overall inventory coordination and accuracy of inventory records as well as developing and implementing inventory policies and controls, data analysis, and reporting. Special projects as assigned by the manager.
This position is 40 hours a week and remote/hybrid-optional. Although we have a small office in Berkeley, CA, we are largely remote. Candidates for this position should reside in the Bay Area. Annual salary is $56,207. Excellent benefits package: full health, vision, and dental plan; 401k; paid sabbatical; and flexible spending plan. In addition to PTO, we offer all employees 1 paid volunteer day, 4 grief/bereavement days to grieve any impactful event, and 24 paid holidays per year, including International Workers’ Day, Juneteenth, and the anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receiving all stock into the NAB inventory system, after verifying the units and dollars charged are accurate. Managing inventory transfers between warehouses.
- Selecting and scheduling titles for reprints, suggesting the optimal order quantity.
- Performing monthly and yearly inventory reconciliations with our consignment vendor Penguin Random House.
- Assigning ISBNs for all new products.
- Creating reprint jobs in Acumen.
- Implementing product related change orders in the Penguin Random House portal and Acumen.
- Providing input for new title order quantities based on previous sales patterns.
- Suggesting OP (out of print) or price changes for prohibitively expensive reprints.
- Notifying co-publishing partners of upcoming reprints and billings.
- Handling and coordinating with PRH pulping of out of print and obsolete inventory products.
- Importing and reconciling monthly sales data from PRH and generating in Acumen PRH sales invoices.
- Handling company’s credit card transactions: collecting receipts, coding expenses in the accounting system.
- Creating and maintaining author customer accounts.
- Handling hurt pallet notifications to our “remainders” sales partner.
Skills and qualifications
- Track record of strong analytical skills.
- Strong Excel skills, ability to translate high volume data into clear and concise reports.
- Solid knowledge of inventory management practices/reporting.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Proficient in written and verbal communication skills.
- Cost accounting background is a plus.
- 3 years in inventory or warehouse operations.
- Degree in accounting or equivalent experience is preferred.
Email your resume and cover letter to Alla Spector [she/her] at firstname.lastname@example.org with the header “Inventory Coordinator position.” No phone calls, please. We look forward to hearing from you.
There are no openings at this time.