Employment & Internships
Current North Atlantic Books Job Openings
North Atlantic Books, an educational nonprofit, has pioneered the publication of significant new titles in alternative health, somatic bodywork therapies, martial arts, and spiritual consciousness and growth since 1974 in Berkeley, California. Our list also includes literary publishing, current affairs, parenting, cultural studies, and environmental titles. We publish 40–50 titles a year with a staff of 24 people in the heart of Berkeley, California. Our titles are distributed by Penguin Random House Publisher Services.
POSITION: The Production Coordinator helps with all aspects of book production, including reprints, new titles, photo/image enhancement and manipulation, ebook file preparation, file management, and archiving. The position reports to the Senior Designer/Creative Manager and works closely with both the Digital and Print Production Managers.
- Create and implement book production files in Adobe Creative Suite and Quark XPress
- Handle interior and cover production and generate printer-ready PDF files
- Bookmark PDF files for Insight conversion
- Monitor and enhance quality of source images and production files to suit printers’ specifications
- Supply artwork for campaigns and marketing materials, as needed
- Estimate cast-offs for manuscripts (estimating number of pages)
- Prepare in-house advance reading copies, as needed
- Review final files and upload to printers; review printer proofs and implement any necessary corrections
- Design custom elements for reprints and ebooks, as needed
- Create ancillary marketing materials for sales and marketing, including ads, posters, web banner ads, and PowerPoint presentations
- Create internal graphics for books, as needed
Ebooks, Apps, and New Media:
- Create PDF files for conversion to epub and other formats
- Gather and upload files for epub conversion
- Provide file delivery and documentation for varied electronic formats (including audio, video, and other new media) as needed for publishing partners
- Create and disseminate derivatives of electronic files for promotional purposes
- Implement reprint corrections and adjustments, including updating book production files, generating new barcodes, and rebuilding older titles to current specifications
- Check printer proofs
Production Archiving/Digital Data Management:
- Provide files when requested (i.e., for foreign rights, authors/publishing partners who need PDF or Word files, images for publicity, etc.)
- Maintain and update book information into appropriate databases, as needed
- Bachelors degree
- Two+ years’ production experience in book publishing
- Deep knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Quark on a Mac-based platform
- Skilled in Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook on a Mac-based platform
- Deadline oriented and adept at multitasking
- Proofreading skills
- Superior organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent communications skills
- Solid design skills and sound aesthetic judgment
- Knowledgeable about e-publishing a plus
- Knowledge of North Atlantic Books’ categories a plus
REPORTS TO: Senior Designer/Creative Manager
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits: health and dental plan, 401K, flexible spending plan. Pleasant central Berkeley neighborhood and work environment. To apply: Email your resume and cover letter to Jasmine Hromjak (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the header “Production Coordinator position.” No phone calls, please.
North Atlantic Books is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce.
Looking for a publishing internship where you get to write, read, edit, proof, and learn the fundamentals of book publishing while gaining valuable experience in a highly competitive field?
North Atlantic Books, a leading publisher in the areas of bodywork, alternative health, diet and nutrition, metaphysics, literature, and quirky aspects of pop culture, is seeking smart, resourceful, detail-oriented interns with strong writing and communications skills to work in our Berkeley, California, office.
- Must be available to work between 8–16 hours per week
- Have excellent writing and research skills
- Be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Be able to multi-task and prioritize assignments
- Be resourceful, creative thinkers who can work independently and collaboratively
- Have some knowledge, experience, or interest in the material we publish
Our internship dates are flexible, but typically run as follows:
Fall: September – December
Spring: January – April
Summer: May – August
Marketing & Publicity
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Building publicity contact lists for review mailings and e-blasts
- Researching blogs, websites, and writers for specific book projects
- Writing galley letters and press releases
- Creating press kits
- Writing posts and designing materials for NAB’s social media and blog
- Tracking, clipping, and recording publicity hits as they arise
- Database entries and updates
- Fulfilling publicity requests for review copies, images, and excerpts
- Attending company, department, and author meetings
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting editorial team in daily tasks (proofreading, organization of manuscripts, checking indexes, etc.)
- Assisting with Title Information (TI) sheets for use by Penguin Random House sales reps:
- Research comparative titles for new books
- Edit book descriptions and author bios
- Research key selling points of new books
- Attending editorial and acquisitions meetings
- Applying for Cataloging-in-Publication data for new titles through the Library of Congress
Ready to apply?
Feel free to apply any time! You can apply for an editorial internship, a marketing and publicity internship, or both.
For editorial internships, submit a resume and cover letter in an email to email@example.com. Please include the phrase “Internship Application” in your subject line.
For marketing and publicity internships, submit a resume and cover letter in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the phrase “Internship Application” in your subject line.