Sample Recipe from Raw Chocolate Treats: Raw Chocochino
Categories: Food & Nutrition
As the Winter holidays approach, many of us are preparing to indulge in treats that any other time of year might be forbidden. I’ve already outed myself as a sucker for all things pumpkin-flavored in the Fall. Any other time, a slab of pumpkin pie would hardly seem appealing, but something about cold weather and the smell of nutmeg and cinnamon make it irresistible. I will always have an excuse for pumpkin pie, but wouldn’t it be great if we didn’t have to make excuses for such pleasures?
The fact is that many of our favorite treats are very healthy when properly prepared. Pumpkin is a superfood, rich in antioxidants and potassium, and chocolate is a superfood, too, especially in its raw form.
I’m still searching for a healthy, raw alternative to my beloved pumpkin pie; meanwhile, Jessica Fenton’s new book, Raw Chocolate Treats: Healthy Recipes for the Chocolate Lover, provides healthy and delicious chocolate recipes to enjoy right away!
Here, she shares her recipe for Raw Chocochino:
When it’s cold outside and you desire a beverage that will not only warm you from the inside out but also give you a mild kick, then my Raw Chocochino has to be it. It’s thick, creamy, smooth, and satisfying.
- power blender
- generous 2 cups raw almond milk
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- scant 1/4 cup raw agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons raw cacao butter, grated or finely chopped
- 5 drops vanilla essential oil
- Add the almond milk to your power blender jar with all the other ingredients. If you have the almond milk already made and sweetened in the refrigerator, just omit or add less agave nectar.
- Blend on full power until you achieve a smooth, even consistency.
- Heat the mixture gently using a bain-marie, stirring the drink regularly and checking that it’s not heating up too much (which would destroy the enzymes and nutrients), until warmed through but not hot.
- Pour into beautiful cups and serve with matching saucers for a cute, warming drink.
Tags: Cookbooks Raw Foods Recipe Vegetarian & Vegan Jessica Fenton