Recipe Monday: Hearty Crêpes
Categories: Excerpt Food & Nutrition
Crêpes are the perfect solution to the bounty of holiday leftovers. Whether you desire something sweet or savory, this hearty breakfast crêpe recipe from The Blue Heron Ranch Cookbook is the perfect base for creating a light breakfast or building a hearty brunch.
Tags: Recipe Vegetarian & Vegan
Hearty Breakfast Crêpes
Serves 4 – 6
This is one of my favorites. I love the delicacy of crêpes and the variety of fillings you can use. You will need a large flat skillet. Butter the pan well. Preheat pan on medium heat so that a drop of water balls up.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2½ cups milk or soy milk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 4 Tbs butter melted
- 9 eggs
- Mix the flours and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add the milk or soy milk, vanilla, and melted butter gradually, to avoid lumps.
- Add the eggs one at a time
- Pour ⅓ cup of batter onto the heated skillet. Tip skillet around so that the batter spreads evenly over the entire pan. Cook until small brown spots appear, about 2 minutes. Flip over and cook for a few more seconds until done.
- Roll crêpes up with your favorite filling, cover with a dish towel, and place them in a heated oven to keep warm.
Suggested Fillings for Sweet Crêpes
- Apple sauce
- Cooked apricots
- Ice cream and nuts
For savory crêpes, get creative with your leftovers!