Recipe Monday: Chocolate Chaga Peppermint Wafers
Categories: Excerpt Food & Nutrition
Do you love to bake for the holidays? Here’s something new to try: the no-bake peppermint wafers from Julia Corbett’s book Raw Cookies. Deliciously raw and gluten free, these cookies are packed with superfoods, making them the perfect treat to share with your friends and family this holiday season.
Tags: Recipe Vegetarian & Vegan
Raw cookies are one of the easiest sweet recipes to make. All you need is a food processor, some creativity, and high-quality ingredients to make delicious food. There is room to play with raw cookies, and you can use sweeteners like raw honey or dried fruit to bind the cookies and any combination of nuts and seeds you like. With the right proportions in mind, you’re on your way to being a master raw cookie maker.
Chocolate Chaga Peppermint Wafers
Makes 8-12 sandwich cookies
- 1 cup almonds
- ¼ cup cacao paste, broken up into small pieces
- 2 drops organic peppermint essential oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- ½ teaspoon chaga extract powder
- ¼ cup sun-dried cane juice crystals or coconut sugar pinch of sea salt
- 3-4 tablespoons raw honey (crystallized) or ⅓ cup dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, solid
- 2 tablespoons raw honey (crystallized), light colored
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- 1 drop organic peppermint essential oil (food grade)
- pinch of sea salt
- Process almonds in a high-power blender or in a food processor to make a fine flour.
- Add all ingredients, except honey, to a food processor, process until combined into a fine mixture (about 1 minute), then add honey and mix until sticking together like a crumbly dough.
- Roll into a ¼-inch-thick dough between two sheets of parchment paper on a cutting board using a straight-sided glass or a rolling pin to evenly compact the dough.
- Chill for 30 minutes or so until set firm.
- Cut rounds with a cookie cutter, and remove from parchment paper carefully. Chill until ready to serve. Store chilled.
- Mix together all ingredients for the Peppermint Filling by hand until whipped and fluffy.
- Spread the Peppermint Filling onto each cookie, and sandwich with another. Store chilled.